Friday, January 2, 2009

Penny Farthing

Penny farthings, properly known as "Ordinaries" or "High ordinaries" were the model of bicycle present at the turn of the 20th century, notable for their large direct-drive front wheel and small rear wheel. The reasoning was that, with a larger wheel, each rotation of the pedals produced more forward movement. Drive wheels were then made as large as possible, as large a radius as the rider's legs would allow(usually between 4 and 5 feet). Once the chain and sprocket design became mainstream such wheels were obsolete, and the design was abandoned.

There is much to be said for the aesthetic of these devices, though. They bring to mind the period of high culture and industry in which they were conceived. It is because of this aesthetic that I am determined to create one for myself.

The plan is such: I will acquire a bicycle, I will bend the frame to my will, I will combine the wheel rims to double the diameter, and I will extend the forks to reach the wheel hub. It will be glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment