Saturday, January 10, 2009

Polyphasic Sleep: Oversleeping and Crazy Vivid Dreams

The whole idea beind polyphasic sleep is that, by training your body to go quickly into REM sleep, you can get needed rest in dramatically less time then usual. Incidentally, this critical REM phase is that associated with dreams, and many polyphasic sleepers report more vibrant and easily recalled dreams.

Somehow, I managed to sleep around a normal 8 hour night last night, and in my more accessible REM state, my subconcious managed to come up with quite a few odd themes. At one point, I was successful in capturing a mouse then eating it whole; at another, I drove a convertible filled with blood to the grand canyon and pushed my nonexistant wife to her doom while she threatened me with a wooden handgun; all this before the trip to my uncle's nonexistant isolated contemporary cabin in the countryside where apes mocked us from outside while my sisters and I prepared more green beans than we could possibly eat.

Lesson: your brain comes up with some crazy stuff while running on empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment